Color Guard Takes Fourth

Lieutenant Colonel Hargett

Pelahatchie JROTC competition color guard at Florence High School competing at the Capital Regions All Services Drill Championship .

Maria Banuelas, Staff Writer

Pelahatchie JROTC has been responsible for Pelahatchie High School color guard in sports games, festivals, and parades. They have had the time to practice Tuesday and Thursday attempting to make each and every color guard as perfect as possible.

They also have been practicing the past couple of weeks to participate in color guard competitions. Pelahatchie JROTC competition color guard consists of our fellow high school students: Maria Banuelas, Jessica Smith, Jonathan Pearson, and Blaine White. They have been practicing a routine for the last couple of weeks for the Capital Regions All Services Drill Championship at Florence High School.

The event took place October 7 and they took fourth place in the event.

They competed against 6A schools with not only Army but also Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps JROTC programs. They lost to Florence competition color guard by 5 points. Pearl took first, Terry took second, and Florence took third place in the event.

State Flag Cadet Major Jessica Smith said, “I thought the competition was fun it felt good to finally put all our hard work to use. I think that we did great for being a small school competing against 6A schools. I think we deserved the place we got because we tried our best and still did ended up being in the top five. I think that we may have practiced more with the boundary lines being set when we first started the routine.”

Pelahatchie JROTC competition color guard also received the opportunity to compete against Puckett’s JROTC 2 color guards teams to determine which will compete in the JROTC Army competition in December.