Lets Get It Off Our Chest: Breast Cancer Awareness

Mrs. Wendy Carter, in the middle, assisted with the coin toss at the football game.

Lizzy Pinter, Staff Writer

Breast Cancer is a cruel reality all over the world. 1 of 8 U.S. women will develop invasive breast cancer in her lifetime.

According to Cancer.net, “This year, an estimated 252,710 women in the United States will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer, and 63,410 women will be diagnosed with in situ breast cancer.”

Breast Cancer in itself isn’t deadly. It’s when it spreads into the bones and into other organs that it becomes deadly. 

Contrary to popular belief, men do get breast cancer. An estimate of 2,470 men are predicted to be diagnosed with breast cancer this year.

On October 20, 2017 Pelahatchie High School had a pep rally and football game that was themed “Pink Out.” The students dressed in their pink clothes and supported those fighting “the good fight.”

The previous pep rally  theme was “pink out and pig snouts.” The students who brought money chose to put it in a jar designated to each teacher. The teacher that had the most money in his or her jar at the end of the week had to kiss a pig at the pep rally on the upcoming Friday.

All the money earned went to Mrs. Wendy Carter who is a teacher at Pelahatchie High School who is fighting breast cancer. The money was to help her pay for her hospital bills.

The school is going out of its way to make sure Mrs. Carter knows that she is loved and that the faculty is there if she needs them. At the game last Friday she assisted with the coin toss and students released pink balloons into the air.

Students released pink balloons into the air in support for Mrs. Carter who is fighting breast cancer.