What’s the Asvab?

Hannah Thomas, Staff Writer

The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is a multiple choice test given by the United States military Entrance Processing Command to see if students are qualified for enlistment in the United States Armed Forces.

The computerized test is divided into ten sections and the written test is divided into nine. The ASVAB is said to be about three hours long. It is not usually a mandatory test, and the army cannot mandate the test, but the school can choose to make it mandatory for juniors. Pelahatchie high school took the ASVAB on October eighteenth of this year.

A student’s score gives recruiters leads on where to find students who may be interested in joining the army or another branch of military. A good score for a high school student is at least a thirty six percentile. The ASVAB score is good for two years for any included branch of the military.

Eric Davis, a junior at Pelahatchie High School was one of many that took the ASVAB test. “It’s nice for students to know what they are capable of. It being mandatory gave students a chance to see where they are academically. It is kind of cool finding out if you are eligible for the United States Army, even if you don’t necessarily plan on joining,” said Davis.