MENU

Pelahatchie High School Takes the State by Storm

The students that attended the Honors Field Trip to Hinds Community College participating in a science experiment.

Lizzy Pinter, Staff Writer

Pelahatchie High School has been traveling all over the state with several different school related field trips.

On October 20, 2017, the Print Journalism class went on a field trip to the MSPA Fall Convention at the University of Southern Mississippi. The students participated in several classes around the college that would help them better understand journalism.

The classes targeted journalism, broadcasting, and yearbook/pictures. There were individual classes for each subject arranged in several locations among the University of Southern Mississippi campus.

There also was a trip to the Hinds Community College Rankin campus for students who had at least a 3.5 GPA and who were interested in the Hinds Honor Program . The students who attended were able to get an up close and personal look into a real college classroom. They were also able to meet several of the teachers. The teachers had experiments laid out to give the students an idea of what college students do in each class.

The J.R.O.T.C rifle team went on a trip to Brandon High School to participate in a district rifle competition. Although the students went up against some of the biggest schools in Rankin County (including Northwest Rankin and Brandon High School), they brought home the second place trophy.

The Pelahatchie High School principal Dr. Bryan Marshall states, ”We are excited about the trips and feel that these trips lead to better understanding of the

Members of the JROTC Rifle Team competing at a District Meet at Brandon High School.

world outside of our town. These trips give us the opportunity and we are excited to learn!”