MENU

Chiefs Dominate in Their Rematch Against the Dragons

Devin Irvin, Staff Writer

On February 2, the Pelahatchie Varsity Boys Basketball team competed in a district game against the Pisgah Dragons.

The Chiefs had previously lost to the Dragons two times this season and were looking to dominate them. With the Chiefs losing the previous game against the Puckett Wolves, the Chiefs wanted to play hard for the school because they believed they had something to prove.

The game was also held on Pelahatchie’s senior night. Senior guard, Jadarious “Geek” Johnson, senior forward, Jaymon Johnson, and senior center, Josh Wilson were recognized before the start of the game

When asked on how he felt about Senior Night, Jaymon responded saying, “I just want to turn up for my city and my school and show what the Chiefs about.”

At the start of the game the Chiefs started off strong and fast and began to rack up on points to gain a comfortable lead. The Chiefs ended the quarter by outscoring the Dragons and the score was 20-6

At the beginning of the 2nd quarter the Chiefs continued to add to their lead and at one point were leading the Dragons by 18 points. However, the Chiefs began to make some defensive mistakes, and the Dragons cut the Chiefs lead down. At the end of the half the Chiefs were leading 30-22

Coming in to another half the Chiefs wanted to have the same fast paced and aggressive style of play they had at the beginning of the game. The Chiefs were beginning to gain another large lead and by the end of the 3rd quarter the Chiefs in the lead and the score was 48-34

In the final quarter the Chiefs didn’t let up. They limited their defensive mistakes and continued to play hard. Towards the end of the game the Dragons couldn’t help but foul the Chiefs because there wasn’t enough time for them to make a comeback. The Chiefs ended up beating the Dragons 62-50.

The Chiefs have now moved to second in their district and will play the number one ranked team in their district, the St. Joseph Bruins, for the second time this season on February 6.