Love, Simon Review

unknown

The cover of Love, Simon

Maria Banuelas, Staff Writer

The movie Love, Simon was released on March 16, 2018. Love, Simon is based on the book  Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. The book is young adult fiction. The movie supports the LGBT community and homosexual children are homosexual..

The movie gives an example of parental support towards their homosexual child. In the article “Love, Simon and the surprise of Parental Support for Queer Children” , author Carla Bruce-Eddings states, “Love, Simon, a wide-release film, brings the tender relationship of its titular gay character and his parents to broad audiences.”

The movie is based on a seventeen-year-old boy named Simon Siper. He is in high school living his life as any other teenager; the problem is he has a secret. Nobody knows he is gay.

The character has also fallen in love with another gay student attending his school. They begin to email each other, keeping themselves anonymous to one another and eventually falling in love.

Simon tries to identity of his online lover. This causes an issue of terrifying and life changing events for him and people who surround him.

The movie has a 91% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It is rated 4.9/5 on Facebook and 94% liked by Google users.

Jessica Harrell, a Pearl High School student, watched the film on March 17, 2018 at 6:55pm at the Cinemark theatre in Pearl. She stated, “It was a phenomenal cast and very closely resembled the book.” She also stated, “Yes, I’d give it a 10/10.”

Oley Walter Harrell, Jessica Harrell’s brother, also attended the film and stated, “ The actors in “Love, Simon” portrayed the characters very well, and the difference between the book, “Simon Vs, the Homo Sapiens Agenda”, and the audience even those who had previously read the book, to still be surprised in the end. The overall pacing and tone of the movie was fantastic and I would be happy to see “Love, Simon” again.”

The movie is still available in local theaters.