Unusual and Imaginative Book Enchants Readers

Strange the Dreamer Review

Strange the Dreamer’s book cover depicts shades of blue and a intricate moth symbolizing the main female lead, Sarai.

Laura Renfroe, Staff Writer

What would it be like to walk into dreams, to witness and control what people dream about in their sleep? What if the dream were to choose the dreamer, not the opposite?

Many people, including myself, consider ourselves dreamers. We chase our dreams and conjure up wild and creative ideas. Lazlo Strange is one of these people.

The book Strange the Dreamer was published March 28, 2017 under Little, Brown Books publishing company. It was nominated for Goodreads Choice Awards Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction and was an instant New York Times bestseller and Michael L. Printz honor book.

The book follows librarian Lazlo Strange on a journey to the world only he dreamed of, Weep. Lazlo has immersed himself in tales from dusty scrolls in his library basements for years, studying the mystical city of Weep.

He finally gets to go to the city that turns out to be not what he dreamed of, no abundant colors thriving among the soft petals of flowers or the ebony coats of mythical creatures, rather a city trapped in darkness and ruin.

Throughout the book, we come across many twists and turns and experience what it would be like to enter dreams. When Lazlo and Sarai, the daughter of the goddess of despair, meet in a dream, we experience a lush and unusual story full of monsters and gods.

Enduring on rainwater and plums, Sarai and her peers are trapped in a citadel with their supernatural powers keeping them alive.

From tragic and beautiful romance to intense action sequences, Strange the Dreamer has become a favorite to teens and adults alike.

“Strange the Dreamer is unique. I’ve never read a book quite like it,” Pelahatchie High School librarian Eles Renfroe praises.

“Laini Taylor, the author of Daughter of Smoke and Bone series and Strange the Dreamer, often switches the roles of what we often perceive as who should be the good guys and who should be the bad guys: gods could be the bad guys instead of the good guys,” said Renfroe.

“This switch leaves the reader off balance. We are not sure who to trust. Add to that uncertainty Taylor’s beautiful world building and rich character development, and you find yourself in an original, multi-layered story. I loved it and await the sequel with much anticipation.”

The sequel, Muse of Nightmares, is excitingly coming to bookshelves this October.

You can check out Strange the Dreamer and other books by Laini Taylor at the library anytime and witness the hype that has charmed and enchanted many readers.