Student Council Takes on the New Year

Mrs. Nobles and students at PHS vote for student council representatives.

Dana Bennett, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again; student council is ready to get the 2018-2019 year rolling. Something new this year, PHS doing Class Representatives! The votes for student council class representatives will be announced Friday, August 24.  

The mission of student council is “to form a body of students that focus on civic leadership skills by advocating high standards of cooperation, promoting social, cultural and enlightening activities for students and helping the community,” according to Mrs. McMillian, history teacher and student council sponsor. Student council is a group of students who want to better the community one day at a time.

Students can sign up for student council either in May or in August. Students complete an application during the qualifying process to have their names placed on the ballot. The election took place Wednesday, August 22. “Watching students participate in the democratic process was both rewarding and exciting.” said Mrs. McMillian.

Once the council meets, members will talk about the future plans, such as trying to influence community pride by coordinating the Homecoming Parade. Also, every year the council serves the community by doing a community project to better the community.

The council will attend the Mississippi College Capital Area Leadership Conference in November. This event gives the students a chance to interact with council members all across the state. While at the conference, each student will select two children from the Angel Tree to sponsor.

The Angel Tree gives council members a chance to do something helpful in other communities. They christmas shop for a kid that they don’t know. “It’s the most fun and rewarding service projects they have ever participated in,” sadi Mrs. McMillian.

Fundraisers will be something that will be discussed during the first meeting of the council. The money made from the fundraisers will fund community projects.