MENU

Are Students Really All That Different?

Brianna Rowland, Staff Writer

There are so many different stereotypes of adolescents in schools nowadays. There are the “smart” ones, the “popular” ones, the “athletic” ones, the “artistic” ones, and so many more. But how different are all of these groups from one another?

Harrison Till. That’s a name that is quite well known around the Pelahatchie area. During the first week of school he was recognized as one of the best students- academically- at the school. But simply because he’s smart doesn’t mean that he doesn’t struggle in school. His least favorite class is “College algebra because it’s math and I’m not great at math,” he informed me.

Zharia Holifield also feels that math isn’t an easy class. When I asked her what her least favorite class was, she responded really quickly. “Mrs. Nutt’s class because I don’t understand anything going on in algebra right now and that bothers me.”

Even the younger students feel that math is difficult. Macey Bowman said she doesn’t like math, “because I have- what I consider- a bad grade in that class because it’s hard for me.” Noah Brock said that he’s “…never really clicked with math.”

Everyone struggles with something, even the people that everyone else looks up to for their intellect.
Struggles aren’t the only thing in which the students of Pelahatchie have in common, however.

Gregory Beemon, Brayden Centeno, and Harley Lawson all said that teachers could make classes more interesting and maintain their interest if the teachers incorporated more hands on and interactive activities.

Also, each person I interviewed told me that the reason they didn’t have a part time job, aside from not meeting age requirements of course, is because school takes up so much time and energy that they feel that if they had a job it would inhibit their scholastic abilities.

Just because students have several things in common, however, doesn’t mean that each student isn’t unique. Everyone I interviewed answered a question about who they would interview if they could interview anyone, be it dead or alive.

Jade Potes, a relatively new student at Pelahatchie said she would want to interview Alexander Hamilton because “I would want to know why he cheated.”

Riley Bowman said that she would want to interview, “Robin Williams because he grew up being a comedian and… he’s just always been my role model.”

The students also have very different plans and ideas for after high school and their future careers.

Ally Hutzle said that when she finishes high school, she wants to go to college to become a veterinarian, while Haylee Atkinson said that she wants to go to law school.

Brayden Centeno (right) practicing for football.

Jade Potes going over her notes for her world history test.

Haylee Attkinson working on a project for art class.

Macey Bowman watching “The Greatest Showman” in theatre.

Harley Lawson working on a project for art class.

Ally Hutzel (front) and Riley Bowman (back) both working hard on a Spanish test.

Noah Brock taking notes in world history, preparing for a test.

Harrison Till taking notes in college algebra.

The fact that there are so many similarities and differences in the student body at Pelahatchie just makes the students that much more fascinating and connective.

About the Writer
Brianna Rowland, Staff Writer

Brianna is a senior at Pelahatchie High School. She really loves to read and write, and she strives to be make a career of writing. When she isn't reading...