MENU

What’s with the Mysterious Ticking?

The+House+with+a+Clock+in+its+Walls+was+released+on+September+21+of+this+year+and+has+made+46%2C620%2C210+in+profit++

What’s with the Mysterious Ticking?

The House with a Clock in its Walls was released on September 21 of this year and has made 46,620,210 in profit

Dessi Thomas, Staff Writer

Could you imagine living in a house with a mysterious ticking sound hidden between the walls? This house isn’t like any ordinary house; it’s a magical house that has a personality of its own.

I went and saw the movie The House with a Clock in its Walls in theaters on September 24, three days after it was released, and I really liked it. I’m a big fan of fantasy fiction, and I enjoy anything that contains unrealistic settings, such as magic and supernatural events.

The story was very well written and had a very unpredictable plot. The cast was amazing, and the visual and special effects were awesome. Also, the scenery was very beautiful: the rooms, the walls, and the stained glass window added the magical feeling to the movie. The backyard and the lion plant sculpture reminded me of  Edward’s yard in Tim Burton’s film Edward Scissorhands. They were both very alluring and similar.

In the film, there were both elements of humor and dark fantasy. The constant banter of Jack Black and Cate Blanchett’s characters were hilarious. The couch chair and the lion sculpture had a mind of their own. They were personified as living things, and the chair resembled a dog.

The critics on Rotten Tomatoes rated it 5.9/10. Most of the critics thought the movie had a good balance between comedy and horror. Critic Peter Debruge and William Bibbiani commented about the director, Eli Roth, saying that he did well on adapting to a children’s film using his own inner weirdo like usual. I totally agree with what they said because Roth is more associated with the horror genre, and I think he did a fantastic job with bringing it down a notch and not trying to make it too scary for the children since it is rated as PG.

I loved every minute of this movie, and I totally recommend it.

About the Writer
Dessi Thomas, Staff Writer

Dessi is a senior at Pelahatchie High School. She has attended the school since kindergarten and plans to graduate from PHS in 2019. This is her second...