PHS FFA Helps with Children’s Barnyard at the State Fair

Adalyn+Till+%28left%29+and+Levi+Goldman+%28right%29+swapping+out+some+of+the+chickens+because+they+were+overheating+

Adalyn Till (left) and Levi Goldman (right) swapping out some of the chickens because they were overheating

Levi Goldman, Staff Writer

On several dates in October 2018, Pelahatchie FFA traveled to the Mississippi State Fair to help with many things such as the children’s barnyard and the cattlemen’s association booth.

“Our main goal was to help set up the children’s barnyard and to help the cattlemen’s association sell food and i feel like we accomplished our goal very well and the barnyard was run very well” is what Mr. Bob Robinson, here, said about the whole trip to the fair to work.

Robinson also said, “ I was kinda skittish of going to the fair and working at first just because of all the stuff that could go wrong, but I feel like everyone that went had a blast.”

There were a lot of students who went on this trip, and some of the jobs they did included managing and caring for the animals; changing out ducks;selling raffle tickets; feeding, watering, picking up and handling any of the animals that anyone wanted to pet. They also set up and took down the animals enclosures.

Pelahatchie FFA chapter was not the only chapter that went and helped with this daunting task; chapters such as Brandon, South Panola and Independence and even the Mississippi state officers stepped in to help.

“My favorite part of the fair was being able to handle the ducks and being able to interact with the animals and being able to inform the people about the animals and interacting with people themselves… and of course the fair food.” said Collins Doster, one of the students who went on the trip.