Renegades Reels Readers in with an Exhilarating Superhero Story

Renegades by Marissa Meyer was released in November 2017.

Brenna Renfroe, Staff Writer

If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Would you rather be able to transform into a swarm of monarch butterflies at will or be able to bring your drawings and artwork to life? Or perhaps would you prefer a more sinister superpower, such as being able to transform into the embodiment of various fears?

These are just a few of the very unique superpowers that the characters posses in the world of Renegades.

Renegades by Marissa Meyer is a high-stakes superhero vs villain adventure perfect for fans of Marvel and D.C. This book also attracts readers because of its romance, sci-fi elements, action, and mystery.

The two main characters are Nova Artina and Adrian Everhart. They both live completely different lives in their home of Gatlon City. Their world is made of prodigies, people with unnatural abilities. For years, prodigies were hunted, oppressed, and killed because people feared them and believed them to be abominations. Eventually, prodigies began to band together to fight back against their oppressors.

The main group of these prodigies was led by a power hungry man named Ace Anarchy, and they called themselves the Anarchists (the villains). Ace Anarchy and his Anarchists took over Gatlon City and lawlessness and chaos reigned supreme for years to come.

Another group of prodigies eventually rises up, calling themselves the Renegades, and destroy almost all of the Anarchists and take back Gatlon City. The Renegades are the heroes who save the day and become highly revered. They now rule the City and are much beloved, but not by everyone.

Nova is an Anarchists who hates the Renegades for her own reasons and believes them to be hypocrites. Adrian is a Renegade who believes that the Renegades have lost track of what it means to be a hero. After a series of events pulls them together, their feelings toward each other began to slowly grow.

When I first went into this novel, I was a little apprehensive about reading a book about superheroes. Because even though I am a huge Marvel fan, I was worried the story would be overly cliche.

I was very wrong. Even though it does contain some of the superhero stereotypes, Marissa Meyer weaves a unique story. All of the characters have powers that are very inventively thought out. The action sequences are well written and flow nicely.

What impresses me is that Meyer was able to write this sci-fi superhero/villain story so well. She is known for her Lunar Chronicles series and Heartless, which are based off of fairy tales. This is a different genre for her.

When asked in an Entertainment Weekly interview why she finds these retellings so appealing, Meyer replied, “As a reader, I love retellings, and I love that whether it’s fairy tales or whether it’s superheroes; there are these things that appeal to us on a mass level, whether it’s because of vicarious living, or just that fairy tale dream of becoming a princess, or whatever it is. We all have a big piece of ourselves that falls in love with these stories, and it’s often at a very young age, so we develop deep attachments to these fantasies.”

Renegades was published in November of 2017 by Feiwel and Friends. The ending left me wanting more and so excited for the next book. Thankfully, the sequel, Archenemies, is to be released on November 6, 2018.

Renegades is available for checkout in your Pelahatchie High School Library.