MENU

Soccer Season has Begun

Soccer Season has Begun

The second half of the boys soccer game; Pelahatchie team waits for the other team to kick the ball.

Pelahatchie High school facebook page

Pelahatchie High school facebook page

Pelahatchie High school facebook page

Collins Doster, Staff Writer

Soccer has kicked off and girls soccer team has already earned their first win. The boys soccer team ended with a tie.

The first soccer games took place at 127 Pleasant Street in Brandon on November 1. The girls team started at 5:30pm and the boys team started around 7:00 pm. Originally the soccer games were planned to be played at home; however, due to Pelahatchie football playoffs, the field was reserved for that Friday night game.

Ever since the first practice on October the 15 both soccer teams have been preparing for their games. Girls team practice on “A” days after school and the boys practice on “B” days after school.

The practices typically last an hour and a half depending on how well the teams practice. During the practices the girls and boys learn skill work such as aiming for the goal, dribbling, and getting up and down the field. This helps them during the game when the other team isn’t as fast or strong.

Current soccer athlete Jacey Cooper was asked “why do you enjoy playing soccer” and she responded with, “It gives me the opportunity to play with my friends.”

At the girls soccer game Coach Creel, the head coach stated that he didn’t want to focus on so much on scoring but more on ball handling and playing as a team. “Working on skilling like that will prepare us for more advance teams like Saint Joe and Saint Andrews.”

This season both teams have 19 games; however, one of the girls games are only for jv players.

Both teams are looking forward for a successful year, so make sure to come out and support our chiefs.