Winter Concert Hypes up Holiday Break

Denver Sturgill, Staff Writer

The Christmas holidays are around the corner. It is a really exciting time for everyone. The last day for the semester is December 22. Do you know what else is exciting? The Pelahatchie High School Band is hosting the 4th annual Winter Concert. 

The band concert will take place on December 17, 2018 , at 7:00 PM in the PHS Auditorium, which will take place on a Monday.  Admission will be $1.

The Beginner Band will play a presentation of their newly acquired abilities. The Intermediate Band, made up of 2nd year band students, will perform the following tunes: Not So Silent Night, Let’s Go Santa, Christmas in the Kitchen. The high school band are playing these pieces: Beware the Krampus, Troika, Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer, Christmas Star, and White Christmas.

The bands previously hosted winter concerts in the past. They also have a Spring concert coming up next year. The band has been preparing for the winter concert for quite a bit.

These are the works to be featured: Andrew Balent, Michael Story, Sean O’Loughlin, Sergei Prokofiev, Carl Strommen, Irving Berlin, Randy Brooks, John Williams, Randall Standridge.

Josh Jenkins, a current high school band member says, “The band has been practicing for about a month and it’s been pretty good. I am really excited.”

Band is a performing art. Everything a musician does will ultimately be judged by an audience. A concert is the summation of all rehearsals. Concerts can teach young people how to look and act professionally as well as help students cope and manage stress. This year’s concert music is also the most challenging the band has ever played.