Chiefs Move to 3-1 in their District With Win Over Mize

Devin Irvin, Staff Writer

After a bumpy start to the season, the Pelahatchie Chiefs Varsity boys basketball team have played very well against teams in their district.

The Chiefs are now ranked second in the district after coming off a loss to the St. Joe Bruins. With this loss the Chiefs traveled to Mize with a chip on their shoulder, as they felt like they deserved to be ranked number one in the district.

The Chiefs knew what they were capable of if they played hard on both defense and offense, and if they played together.

The Chiefs started the first quarter with confidence, as senior guard Javeious “JP” Purvis scored the first points of the game off of a three pointer.

Other players for the Chiefs followed this as they played hard defensively throughout the first half to cause turnovers for the Bulldogs. This would lead to the Chiefs being able to score easily. However, with the Chiefs playing efficiently, guard Dylan Reeves for the Bulldogs seemed to find a rhythm as he finished the first half with 5 three-pointers.

However, with the Chiefs playing aggressive as a team, they went into halftime leading 40-27

The Chiefs came into the second half with the same style of play as they continued to play hard on defense to help them score easily offensively. The Bulldogs began to make small adjustments in order to reduce their turnovers on offense. With Reeves leading the Bulldogs they were able to cut the Chief’s lead down to single digits at one point during the second half.

However, the Chiefs were able to add to their as they beat the Bulldogs 61-48.

When asked about how he felt about his team’s future, freshman guard, Daizjon Collier responded saying, “We the underdogs right now but we gonna wake everybody up soon though.”

After this win the Chiefs are still second in their district, and their district record is 3-1.

The Chiefs have a home game against the West Lincoln Bears January 25.