MENU

PHS Newspaper Makes History at Spring Convention

Tayla Martin

More stories from Tayla Martin

PHS Newspaper staff posing for a picture with their awards. Back row left to right, Devin Irvin, Denver Sturgill, and Levi Goldman. Front row left to right, Laura Renfroe, Brianna Pearson, Tayla Martin, Jessica Smith, and Brenna Renfroe.

Laura Grice

Pelahatchie High School’s newspaper staff took a trip to the University of Mississippi for the 2019 Spring Convention, hosted by the Mississippi Scholastic Press Association.. The trip was held on Monday of April 1. Mrs. Laura Grice, PHS newspaper staff advisor, and Mr.JP Stapleton were the chaperones of the event. The staff left the high school at 5:30 that morning heading for Ole Miss.

There was a welcoming session at nine that morning after all of the schools arrived along with a quick breakfast of donuts and coffee. The welcome was led by RJ Morgan, the director of the Mississippi Scholastic Press Association (MSPA.) After the welcoming session was over, the students and teachers were dismissed to attend three sessions of their choice.

The sessions were held at 9:30, 10:30, and 11:30. Staffs selected from sessions such as, “Marketing Your Publications,” “Using Google Trends To Find Stories,” and “Why Does Media Matter.” After the three sessions were over, students had a quick lunch at 12:20 while the teachers had a luncheon with the speakers.

There was a closing session at 1:00 before the school left to return home. The session included the carry-in and best of MS Awards Programs. “Some categories are really tight. Just because your staff doesn’t place,..there’s a lot of good stuff going on,” Morgan stated while addressing the advisers that attended the luncheon..

This 2019 Spring Convention is the first time in PHS history that Pelahatchie High has entered a MSPA competition. The PHS newspaper was a finalist finalist in three different categories: Online Presence, JoAnne Sellers Newspaper Adviser of The Year, and Best Reviews. Best Reviews went to Laura Renfroe a staff writer for PHS.

After the awards were given out, the students loaded back onto the bus to head back home. They arrived back at the school at 5:30 that afternoon. The staff will return to Ole Miss next school year to compete again.