Empty Rooms and Lonely Balloons for the Mardi Gras Dance

Jon King made the flier for the Mardi Gras dance.

Brin Pearson, Staff Writer

Music blares and echoes through the lonely, balloon filled rooms.  A myriad of snacks lie in the dining room, seldom touched. Where are the students?

The Mardi Gras dance had been planned for longer than a month when it was finally given an official date. The dance was held Saturday, March 2. The doors opened at 7:00 with $10.00 entry.

The dance was a fundraiser, but due to few people arriving, money was barely received.

“I wish we actually would have gotten the word out more efficiently and sooner because most people didn’t know we were having the dance until I said something about it. I asked some seniors if they were going to the dance but they asked what dance,” stated Jon King, who helped organize the dance.

“We scheduled it when there was supposed to be a major basketball game; we had to make so many rearrangements. We wanted to have it March 5, originally planning to have it in February. Since nobody actually knew it was happening people made plans for other things,” said King.

Participants were supposed to wear a Mardi Gras mask and dress nicely. The rooms were filled with balloons, not all filled with helium. The dining room table consisted of chips, cookies, and cocktail sausages, with a cooler full of drinks.

It is likely Pelahatchie will have more dances similar to the Mardi Gras dance, but students think they should be told more than a week in advance.

“Next year they should give everyone a heads up, they should put up more posters around the school and make it a big deal like with prom,” said Levi Goldman, a freshman.