Chiefs Place Second at First Track Meet of the Season

More stories from Devin Irvin

Photo credited to Mrs. Key

Photo credited to Mrs. Key

Photo credited to Mrs. Key

Photo credited to Mrs. Key

As it seemed that the week coming back from spring break would be “lame” or “dull” by most students, the Chieftains hit the ground running and prepared for the track season.

With boys basketball coach, Coach Lyles, also being a track coach, there are even some basketball players participating on the track team. This is a useful way for them to stay in shape during the offseason.

Both boys and girls on the track team have been practicing during their 4th block classes, and have even made extra steps to get in more practice by taking trips to Northwest High school and using their track.

On March 29, the Chiefs participated in a practice track meet that was also held at Northwest High school. The Chiefs went to the meet confident and with high hopes of having good placement, despite having some freshman on the track team who didn’t have a large amount of practice in the events they were participating in.

At the start of the track meet, the Chiefs started competing hard in the first events of the track meet. With this being a practice track meet, there were schools in sizes ranging from 1A-6A participating in the meet. Regardless, the Chiefs didn’t let this stop them.

The meet lasted from 4:30 to 8:30 and left all participants tired. The Lady Chiefs placed first out of all 1A-3A schools who participated.

Unfortunately, senior Javeious Purvis, who placed first in multiple events at the state track meet last year, injured himself while conditioning for the season and couldn’t compete in any events.

Despite this, the Chiefs still placed second out of all 1A-3A schools who participated, while only losing to the Pisgah Dragons by a couple of points.

“Regardless of coming in second, we’re gonna win state,” said senior Cedrick Wilder.

The next track meets will be held at St. Andrews next Thursday.