MENU

Tennis Chiefs Progression through 2018-2019 Year

Denver Sturgill, Staff Writer

Pelahatchie High School has a tennis team. Bob Mullins is the head coach for the team. Amy Till is the sponsor for the team.

They practice at Yogi on the Lake, which is in Pelahatchie It only has two courts. They practice every Tuesday and Thursday. The team does drills and plays actual games for practice

The tennis team also known as the Tennis Chiefs previously held matches with other teams. On March 25, 2018, the Tennis Chiefs took on Enterprise.

They competed in two women’s and two men’s double.  The first match took place at Pisgah. The Tennis Chiefs won this match.

They also competed in one women’s singles and one men’s singles. This would be considered a mixed double match. The winners for the women’s doubles match was Morgan Boyd and Jordan White.

Amy Till, the current sponsor for Tennis team, said, “The goals for the team is to keep improving and for our team to grow.”

There are more Tennis Chief matches that will take place in the future.

What is Tennis? Tennis is a racket sport that can be played individually against a single opponent, or between teams of two players each.  

Tennis is believed to have originated in the monastic cloisters in northern France in the 12th century. Tennis is also one of the highest paid sports.

Tennis is scored by sets. A normal game of Tennis is composed of two to three sets. The points can range between 0 to 40, which is considered game point.

(This photo was from the first match the team competed at Pisgah. Photo credit-Amy Till)