Senior Carmen Hamilton Reminisces Her Journey Through High School

Senior Carmen Hamilton poses for one of her last senior prom pictures.

Jessica Smith, Staff Writer

As warmer weather approaches and the school year is coming to a close, seniors have realized that their high school experience is coming to an end. Students are rushing to turn in late assignments and preparing for state tests and exams, but the seniors are soaking in all they can before their final day.

Hamilton’s high school journey has not been the easiest one, but she has made it a priority to finish strong. As her high school career is nearing the end, she realized that she has enjoyed it more than she first thought. Hamilton says that when she thinks about high school the first thing that comes to mind is “the people and all the diverse personalities you get to experience for four years.”

She loves that she can just walk around campus and meet someone who could be entirely different from her. Hamilton’s favorite year of high school was her freshman year because it was a time filled with fun and one embarrassing  event that she will never forget.

“My favorite part of high school was when Colonel Hargett laughed because of the reactions from other people,” she said. Although Hamilton was said to have several people who impacted her high school life, she chose Mrs. Mac to be her biggest inspiration. “Mrs. Mac has always cared and pushed her students to succeed because she knows that we can, and I love that about her,” said Hamilton.

The hardest part about high school for Hamilton has been keeping friends that she once thought would never leave her side. On the other hand, the easiest part for her has been making friends. Hamilton pictured high school to be an easy journey with many activities, but she found out that it held more drama than anything and proved to be harder than she anticipated.

Hamilton’s post high school plans are to attend Hinds Community College (both Rankin and Raymond campuses) for two years and then to spend the rest of her college career at Mississippi State University. She plans to major in Animal Science and that is what she wants to earn her degree in. “I love animals, and I think that I would excel in this field,” she said.

As her senior year begins to get closer and closer, Hamilton left advice for her peers that she will be leaving behind on graduation night. She said, “Choose your friends wisely; Focus on school but do not forget to have fun.” She also used the saying made by Dr. Burchfield, the principal, which is “Grind it out.”

Hamilton took the quote from Dr. Burchfield to heart because it has encouraged to finish on top even when she wanted to give up, and she wanted to pass that down to her fellow Chieftains.