Pelahatchie High School News

Oh, the Places You Will Go

April 25, 2019

Senior staff writers Jessica Smith and Brianna Rowland share their articles that focus on the 2019 senior class in some way.

Senior’s Farewell Survey

Senior’s Farewell Survey

Seniors Brenna Renfroe and Jessica Smith smile brightly after finishing their last newspaper articles for the year.

Alexander Graham Bell once said, “As one door closes, another one opens.” Out of all of the students in Pelahatchie High School, the 2019 seniors understand this phrase the best. They have less than a month before walking across stage, and many have already made their decisions for their next steps.

Recently, several seniors participated in a survey about their high school memories, plans after graduation, and advice they want to leave with the underclassmen.

Everyone who participated in the survey said they are going to attend college, both community colleges or four year universities, including Hinds, Southern Miss, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State.

Along with future plans, the seniors also reflected on their past four years, recalling both fond and upsetting memories.

Senior Brenna Renfroe, who is planning on attending Southern Miss in the fall, said her fondest memory was during band camp.

“It was the end of an exhausting week of band camp at the very beginning of the year. Mrs. E tricked us all into marching outside in a straight line. We heard shouts, and before we knew it, the drum line came tearing around the corner carrying water balloons. We all screamed and went running all across the school. A few of us ran all the way to the front of campus to hide behind the auditorium. We luckily managed to come out unscathed. It was so much fun!” Renfroe exclaimed in the survey.

Sadly, not everyone’s memories of high school are happy. Amanda Trest says that she will not look back on her senior year with affection because of certain people. Trest said that the only thing she would change about her senior year would be the people she surrounded herself with”because they never helped me grow as a person.”

Each senior had very similar pieces of advice for the up and coming seniors and other underclassmen, but Jessica Smith’s response summarized their feelings the best. All underclassmen need to heed her advice.

Smith said, “Enjoy your high school experience and make memories because it goes by in the blink of an eye.”