Summer Reading Takes a Turn in Another Direction

Mrs.Grice’s list of English students who passed the summer reading assessment with an A.

Tayla Martin

Tayla Martin, Staff Writer

Summer has arrived and you are ready to relax and then BAM, your teacher hits you with summer reading and it is not what you are used to. This 2018-2019 school year, Pelahatchie High School changed the way it required summer reading. 

During the 2017-2018 school year, students were allowed to read a book of their choosing and answer a quick survey of the book on google forms or doing sixteen Achieve3000  articles. However, this year teachers wanted to ensure that every student read a book, which eliminated Achieve as an option. 

Students were given the option of six different books from a variety of genres, such as Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, and Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. The book selection was made by each member of the English department who worked together to narrow the options down to six.

Upon returning to school, students were given an assessment on the book of their choice. “For my classes, grades were about the same..,” Sherree Rayner, an 11th-12th grade English teacher at PHS, explained what she saw in the grades of the summer reading test with the new summer reading program compared to last year. 

“I believe it is crucial that students read often, and especially over summer break, so I am glad that we chose to make books the only option… I hope that next year, we can offer a wider variety of book choices to students. I asked my students for feedback, and several offered suggestions for project-based assessments, so I am looking forward to bringing those to the table for next year,” said Rayner  while talking about the importance of summer reading and what she is hoping to bring up to the English department for next year’s summer reading. 

At the moment there has been no more changes made to summer reading for next year.