Mrs. Hayes + Pelahatchie High School = A Great Addition

Emily Hayes reviews ACT strategies with her students, using technology to best assist them.

Maria Ellingburg

Maria Ellingburg

Maria Ellingburg

Maria Ellingburg, Staff Writer

There are many things that students don’t know about teachers. Emily Hayes is one of the many teachers at Pelahatchie. 

Emily Hayes is an Algebra II, Algebra III, and personal finance teacher. Hayes has been teaching for 13 years, two of which have been here at PHS, and the others at Richland Upper Elementary and Craver Middle School. 

She attended Copiah Academy. She also went to Millsaps College to earn her degree in Mathematics. Hayes claimed that she would not go back to change her career, but she eventually did to become a teacher. Before teaching she worked at a commercial real estate office in Jackson. She helped with property management and also assisted with the building design for the Renaissance Mall in Ridgeland. 

Her favorite thing about teaching is building relationships. She loves being a part of each student’s life. The thing she dislikes most about teaching is getting up early. “That 5:15 alarm is awful!”  exclaimed Hayes. 

Hayes went into teaching at first for the routine. She knew she would want to be on the same schedule as her kids one day. Hayes’s mother inspired her to become a teacher. Hayes claims that her mother was also a math teacher. 

Emily Hayes is one of the Student Council sponsors. She is also a Prom Committee sponsor. Last year she helped plan the Junior/Senior prom. The theme was Glitter and Gold.  

One of her favorite memories from last year was helping with prom. “I loved helping and organizing Prom last year! Everyone looked so fantastic!”

Her favorite memory from this year is dancing in front of the students with the other teachers at one school event. “So far, the funniest thing has been the teacher “Git up” dance at the Pep Rally.” 

Some of her many study methods are to practice and to review notes and problems every night. Hayes has a couple of rules that are to be followed in her classroom. The Pelahatchie PHiveS are enforced. Also, her students must always be prepared and ready to work; no talking and no bathroom breaks while she is teaching. 

Hayes not only thinks teaching is important, but she also thinks having a relationship with students matters, too. “You never know what each and every student is going through at home. So being there for them to talk to about things might make a difference in their little lives.”