USM Comes To Jackson

Kayla Hobson, Staff Writer

On September 23, University of Southern Mississippi representatives traveled to the Hilton in Jackson to inform the students in the nearby area about their programs, scholarships, and other opportunities.

As parents and students walked the halls of the Hilton hotel, they were welcomed at a table. The students were given name tags and a Southern Miss bag.

The bags were filled with a small eagle poster and a book. 

The book gave them information about the tuition and programs they offer. After receiving, they entered the double doors of the event. 

Around the room, different booths lined the wall. Some labeled scholarships, nursing and programs that can help them at the university.

At the back walls, food was offered for guests. 

In the middle of the room, tables were set for guest to sit at after walking around. Eagle Connections of Southern Mississippi walked around to each table and talked with the guests. 

At the booths, representatives explained what they do and how their program is beneficial. There were notebooks, pens, and books, that students could take home. 

Lucky Day, an organization that offers scholarships, partners with Southern Miss to help students earn scholarship money. They have scholarships for studying abroad, freshmen, and leadership. 

Gail Collier, a mother who attended, said, “I think this is a good opportunity for parents and students to learn more about the college and what they have to offer.” 

At 7:00 pm, as people sat down to enjoy their meal, speakers came onstage to explain some of the things the university offers and where to find further information. 

This gave parents and students a chance to plan ahead and talk to the administrators. 

The college spread the news by sending emails to the students who signed up to receive emails from the college. The students clicked on the link which took them to the sign up sheet. 

Students who finished signing up received reminder emails about the event as well as a reminder call.