Jackson Academy Raid the Wrong School

Jackson Academy Raid the Wrong School

The band and several football players have a little fun as the pep-rally concludes on September 6.

Sydni Goldman

Sydni Goldman

Sydni Goldman

CJ Earby, Staff Writer

On Friday, September 27, 2019, the Pelahatchie Chiefs faced the Jackson Academy Raiders, a private school located in Jackson Mississippi.

After taking a 27-36 loss to the Bay Spring Bulldogs the prior week, the team that put the Chiefs out of the playoffs just a year ago in the 2018-2019 season, PHS came back hard, conquering Jackson Academy 49-37.

To prepare themselves for the game, the team worked out and tackled a few techniques for different plays before it started. They reviewed offensive and defensive plays, as well as practicing kickoff.

The Chiefs had a rough start of the game, making a couple of costly mistakes and missed tackles, which resulted in a  halftime losing score of 20-24.

As the Chiefs returned to the field, the fans and the band cheered them on. Sydni Goldman, drum major and senior here at Pelahatchie High School,  said, “Cheering on the football boys is my favorite part of Friday nights. It makes us feel like we are a part of the team and having them turn up with us after the game makes our high school experience the best. That’s what high school is all about; making memories with your classmates that you’ll never forget.”

With helpful tips and encouragement coming from the rest of the team members, Pelahatchie was able to come out victorious. “Thanks to my offensive line I had the opportunity to get four-hundred rushing yards.”said starting running back Ahmad Johnson. 

Johnson ended the game with a whopping 424 yards, 5 defensive tackles, and 5 touchdowns.

Cedrick Wilder, defensive coordinating coach and teacher at Pelahatchie, stated that he feels that the team is doing great so far this season, and he is proud of each and every member on the team. 

Tonight our Chiefs will be heading to challenge Riverside in their first district game of the season.