FFA Fall Fun

FFA Fall Fun

Current working position on the  buckboard wagon.

Current working position on the buckboard wagon.

Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson

Jamison Bennett, Staff Writer

Bob Robinson, the 2018 Mississippi FFA Foundation Star Member title holder and Pelahatchie’s Ag advisor, along with Mr. Kramer Sowell, Brandon High School’s Ag advisor, were both supervisors on a joint fall annual field trip at the Nissan plant.

Jim Rowell a partner in Remington-Lott, a cattle farm with a four-store franchise offering their beef, asked Pelahatchie’s FFA to work on an old buckboard wagon. The U.S. Air Force veteran described the experiences he had in the same type of wagon as a child, “You’d ride for a while, you’d get tired, and walked for a while.”

Mr. Bob said, “We are excited to partner with Mr. Rowell, who intends on having the wagon on display at the Mississippi Ag Museum.”

Bob Robinson
Arrival of the buckboard wagon

Additionally, Saturday October 5, the FFA handed out their flash-frozen ten-pound bags of fruits and vegetables. The orders were taken prior to the handout date and set to pick up starting at 10 in the morning. Even though the delivery truck was late to arrive, vegetable pick-up went smoothly. Pelahatchie partners with Harvard Foods to offer a wide variety of twenty produce items. The community seems to love their purple hull peas and baby lima beans the most.

For the past five consecutive years FFA has offered the veggies to the public; the sales have steadily increased due to the community’s overall satisfaction with the products offered. 

On Monday, October 7, the FFA traveled to the MS State Fair and worked in the children’s barnyard. Students not only spend time feeding and maintaining the animal’s enclosures but had time to enjoy themselves.