Thanksgiving in Pelahatchie

The cafeteria workers decorated the walls for Thanksgiving lunch with parents and elementary students.

Kayla Hobson

Kayla Hobson, Staff Writer

As people are getting ready to put up Christmas trees and listen to “Rudolph The Rednosed Reindeer,” they are forgetting one thing: Thanksgiving. 

Elementary and high school students are preparing for their annual Thanksgiving break. 

November 25th-29, students in Rankin County will enjoy a long week of turkey and ham with their family. 

Most students already know where they are going and what they are doing this holiday.  

Malori Scherer, an eleventh grader, said, “My family is going to my aunt’s house. We are all going to eat and I am going to hang out with my little cousins.”

As students leave, the teachers have plans of their own.

Sherree Rayner, a English and Creative Writing teacher, said, “I am going to spend time with my parents. Since I live 2 hours away, I am looking forward to doing that and to eating some good Thanksgiving food.” 

She also added, “I will also have some grading but I’m going to be intentional about making sure I rest and take a break.” 

Pelahatchie Elementary will have their Thanksgiving dinner on November 21. It will be held in the cafeteria, and traditional meals will be served. 

This event gives family, friends, and teachers a chance to interact with each other before they have a celebration of their own. 

Last year, the Pelahatchie community had their Thanksgiving celebration in the Muscadine Park. 

This year, Ever Reaching Community Outreach hosted the annual Thanksgiving Celebration. It was held in the Embrace Ministries in Forest. They gave Thanksgiving meals to people who attended. 

People donated items like ham, turkey, and green beans. For the organization to prepare in Thanksgiving boxes. The items were due Thursday, November 15.

Even though Thanksgiving is known for the ham and turkey, the essential meaning is being thankful. While sitting and eating food, think about what one could be thankful for and how it helped to make this day special.