Learning All About Mrs. Donna McMillan

Donna+McMillian%2C+standing+behind+her+podium%2C+points+at+a+presentation+she+created+to+teach+her+History+class.+

Maria Ellingburg

Donna McMillian, standing behind her podium, points at a presentation she created to teach her History class.

Maria Ellingburg, Staff Writer

Pelahatchie High School has many amazing teachers, but one who sticks out is Mrs. Donna McMillian. McMillian is a US History and AP Government teacher. She went to Humphreys Academy in Belzoni, Mississippi. She also attended Delta State University in Cleveland, Mississippi. There she earned a Bachelor’s degree. She later on received her Master’s Degree from Liberty University. 

McMillian has been teaching for 25 years, 16 which have been here at PHS. McMillian has loved her time here at Pelahatchie. “I have so many fond memories from teaching here at PHS. It would be too hard to narrow down only one.” 

One thing she absolutely loves about her job is her co-workers and students. She claims her co-workers are great to work with, and she loves getting to know her students. She hopes and wants them all to succeed. There are not many things that she dislikes about her job, but the one thing that is tedious to her is grading papers. 

Many people and teachers go back and change their careers. Some from a teacher to something different, others change their career to teaching. This is not McMillian’s case. She stated, “I would never go back and change my career. I’ve been so blessed to work with the best people and so blessed by many from time to time. Things have changed so much since I began teaching in 1995, but a constant for me is that I ask the Lord daily to give me a servant’s heart. I’m reminded that children are a gift from the Lord and I have the awesome responsibility to work with students, and I cherish that each day.” 

Her inspiration for teaching came from her 8th grade English teacher. “When I first began teaching, I found myself modeling after the sweetest teacher I ever had. I realized that our temperaments were so similar. I remembered how she made us all feel so welcomed in her classroom and she had the most infectious smile. She genuinely cared about us and genuinely was concerned about our education. Every change I get I thank her for making such an impact on my life which inevitably has affected the lives of the students I have taught.”