Social Media Enhanced

Nicole Rainer, Staff Writer

90% of young adults in the United States actively use social media. Social media is a worldwide phenomenon used throughout schools, communities, and most importantly children. Although the world runs on money, technology has been a major distraction of world attractions. Some examples of social media include Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. 

For teens, social media is a competition on who can get the most likes, and how many views the user can get. Technology has improved, and expanded all around the world. Society is so wrapped up in how people can get society to like them, or how they can fit in indefinitely. These apps were designated to contact people all over the world. This corresponds with the use of social media because it has become a great concern to parents and adult mentors. Sergeant John Gough is the JROTC Army Instructor at Pelahatchie High School. “It provides too much information, initializes drama, and online bullying. It makes people lazy,”said Gough. 

Some students at Pelahatchie High have other opinions on how social media impacts today’s society, and how they feel about it overall. Freshman Nataliya Garner feels very neutral about social media. “Social media can be used in negative and positive situations. Me,personally, social media gives me something to do. Even though it does come with lots of drama and sophisticated world wide problems, it gives me control on the little things. I will say it does cause conflict  and can show some signs of addiction,” said Garner.  

Even though social media was intended to be a great mobilized idea, it transformed into an addiction. Freshman Kyle Boykin feels like social media is a worldwide addiction that teenagers have gained throughout the years of development. “I will say that social media has impacted the younger generations in a negative way. We run from our world situations to send a text, or post what happens 24/7. It is an addiction that has evolved from a press of a button. I have social media, but sometimes you just need a break, and a release from how society sees you,” said Boykin.