TikToking On The Toilet

Kennedi DIxon

In the school cafeteria, 7th grade students share TikTok video ideas instead of snacks and sides. The TikTok movement has found its way into school and, unfortunately, restrooms.

Kennedi Dixon, Staff Writer

TikTok is the new trend of today’s generation. The app allows people to make short, ridiculous videos with background music of their choice. Considering that the app is common around younger audiences, it is widely embraced by many teens. 

Every TikTok user has the opportunity to create a video anywhere, whether it’s from their home, job, the local Walmart, or their grandparent’s basement. 

Of all the places to create a video, many high school students have filmed theirs in the bathroom. High school restrooms are now the new TikTok dance studios and make a regular appearance on the app. 

This is not the first time students have misused the school bathrooms. For those with a nicotine addiction, it’s a haven to try and get away with vaping in the stalls. Others take a “restroom break” to avoid class or touch up hair and makeup.

In reality, a person sees the bathroom as the place to go relieve himself or herself. While on TikTok the typical highschool bathroom is seen as a new hangout and filming spot. 

Despite the innocent motive behind making TikTok videos, filming in a public bathroom is a violation of privacy. 

At Pelahatchie High School, complaints arise from many students. “It is annoying to walk in the bathroom and the first thing I’m greeted with is a group of girls making dances for TikTok,” stated Telaiah Lewis, an 11th grade student.

Other students tend to express their complaints by kicking the TikTokers out of the bathroom with four magic words: “The teachers are coming.”

Students are not the only ones who disagree with the TikTok epidemic; many teachers reflect on those with the TikToking addiction. 

“As a teacher, I strive to educate my students, and I think it is important for students to participate academically. Students should not prioritize going to the bathroom just to make TikTok videos,” said Sheree Rayner, an English teacher.

While some turn in disgust from this behavior, many students tend to flock in the bathrooms not just for relief, but to get away from their school responsibilities, leaving the bathroom to be turned into a production studio.

To the average person the bathroom is quite an unusual place to make a video. It is also intrusive to film in a public bathroom. Given some time, students will eventually find another trend to take part in that will not feature the toilet.