Rankin County Adopts New Wednesday Schedule

Pelahatchie High School Facebook

Rankin County school district adopts a shorter Wednesday schedule that started in January 5th.

Kayla Hobson, Staff Writer

As the people make their New Year resolution, Rankin County District has made a new schedule for students. 

Every Wednesday, elementary students will be dismissed at 1:10. While some high school students are dismissed at 1:17. 

Every other day, the high school students are dismissed at 3:06 pm. While elementary students are dismissed at 2:50 pm. 

For the seniors, their late entry and early dismissal schedules will determine when they come and leave school on Wednesdays. 

The late entry students will arrive at 9:14 a.m. and early dismissal students will leave at 12:03 p.m. 

Many students enjoy the extra time they have out of school. 

Damaquris Glibert, a senior with late entry and early dismissal, said, “I enjoy the time out of school. I usually go home and sleep.” 

During the schedule, some classes are shorter. This causes many students to rush through their work. 

Julia Myers, a junior softball player and beta member, said, “I feel like we’re being rushed now to get everything that we’re supposed to go over and learn in class.”

These measures were made to give staff time to clean the school while the students are away. Teachers are also being given more planning time. 

Since the pandemic, schools have made it an important task to keep students safe while they are in the building. 

This includes sanitizing desks, keeping six feet apart, and letting students out at an earlier time. 

Gail Collier, a parent of a senior, said, “I think it has improved the safety of the school kids and staff. It has given everyone extra time to social distance and given the time to sanitize the school as needed.”