Aiming for a Bullseye for the 2020/2021 Season

Meghan Herrington

First year archery member impresses coach with a bullseye at Monday’s practice before first archery match on Wednesday, February 10.

Meghan Herrington, Staff Writer

Pelahatchie High School Archery is back for the 2020/2021 school year.

The team started practicing near the beginning of January. The first practice only had around twelve students, but every practice has brought more attendance to the team.

The team practices normally on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on the old baseball field. On Tuesday, members meet from three to five. On Wednesday they come together from one to three.

Because of Covid-19, this year’s archery matches are looking a little different than in years past. Most of Pelahatchie High School’s matches will be virtual except for the main events of the season.

On Wednesday, February 9, the Chieftains will have their first virtual match against Pisgah.

Each individual on the team will shoot a total of eight rounds, but only six will be scored to compete against the Dragons. Four rounds will be shot at ten feet, and four rounds will be shot at fifteen feet.

The first round at both lines serve as a “practice” round. Then the other three rounds will be scored. The maximum total score of an individual in all six scored rounds is 300.

The first two whistles sound, and the archers retrieve their bow from the bow-rack. Once they hear a one-whistle blow, arrows can start flying. Archers have two-minutes to shoot five arrows and then return their bow to the bow-rack.

It will then be announced for the archers to make their way to the scoring line, and then they will hear “score ‘em.”

The team has a great feeling about this year’s members.

“I feel like we have a good amount of potential this year,” said Levi Goldman, a junior and archery team member.

“I feel like we have a chance at going to state we just need some work,” continued Goldman.

The new players on the team are excited about this season as well.

“I am loving it,” remarked Revonda Renfrow, a first year member of the archery team. She informed me that she has always wanted to do archery but has never had the time. She is now glad that she decided to join this year.