To Cancel or Not to Cancel? That is the Question.

Graphic edited by Meghan Herrington

Cancel Culture is a way for the public to announce a person of high statuses wrongs, and it can be seen as a controversial form of protests.

Meghan Herrington, Staff Writer

Welcome to 2021 where if people say or do the wrong thing, they might just be cancelled.

If you have not heard or embraced said “Cancel Culture,” let me explain what it means to be cancelled.

When someone is cancelled, it is like a protest of society does not support him or her, and it will not praise in any form or fashion.

For example, famous author J.K. Rowling was “cancelled” for her comments on the LGBQT community. Dr. Seuss was cancelled because six of his books will not be published anymore, but then he was sort of “uncancelled” because it was brought to light he apologized for this behavior later in his life. Coca-Cola was cancelled for providing training to their employees that told employees “to not be too white.”

Readers can Google any of these to dig into the real tea of each topic and the debates of each side on whether they deserve to be cancelled or not.

Onto the big question: Should “Cancel Culture” be a thing?

Personally, I do not believe in “Cancel Culture.” Everyone has rights and wrongs done in life. Now I am not saying that people should not apologize for the wrongs they have done because they should acknowledge what they did was wrong and also follow up with an apology, but I also believe that the public falls into the wrong when they try to “cancel” them.

Being cancelled only boils down to your publicity as an individual. Do you have one million followers or only a mere 150?

A Pelahatchie High School teacher and student gave me insight into the do’s and don’ts of cancel culture.

“It’s stupid. People need to get over it. It already happened. No, they don’t need to cancel anything. They need to look over it. If they don’t like it, they don’t have to be a part of it,” explains Gracie Thompson, a Pelahatchie High School senior.

“I’m not one for censorship, so I don’t believe anything needs to be ‘canceled,’ but changed, yes,” said Angela Skinner, a World-History teacher here at Pelahatchie High School.

“Our country has many problems, some steaming back for generations… problems we have too often swept under the proverbial rug. Eventually we will have to deal with the heaping mound of junk under our rug. It appears that that time is now,” continued Skinner.

“But to cancel, in the sense of pretending it never happened, is never a good thing.  Awareness for historical and current social issues, love for our neighbor, and tolerance for those who are different than us are lessons we all need to learn. Censoring doesn’t allow us the opportunity to learn from our mistakes and grow, but rather stiffles any hope for ‘real’ change,” asserts Skinner.

“The change we need to see isn’t going to come from someone ‘making’ us change, but from us having a change of heart…us finding it within ourselves to love more deeply, care more strongly, and live more fully than we have ever done before,” remarked Skinner.