Pelahatchie’s Golf Team: Best by Par

Tyler Walters

The PHS girl’s golf team takes a photo to celebrate their excellent game they played on Wednesday April 7, 2021

Makaylee Hester, Staff Writer

Pelahatchie High School’s inaugural golf team played their first tournament on April 7, 2021. However, the first attempt at beginning at golf team at the high school was not a hole in one.
During the 2019-2020 school year, Pelahatchie held golf tryouts where five boys and four girls participated. Unfortunately, the golf team was unexpectedly canceled when the Coronavirus made its appearance and shut down Pelahatchie as well as the rest of the world.
However, Coach Tyler Walters was determined to get his sport off of the ground. So, in the early months Coach Walters held tryouts yet again. This time his team was smaller, but just as determined.
His girls team now consists of 3 girls: Olivia Lasseter, Makenzie Hester, and Makaylee Hester. His boys team now consists of 2 boys: Cameron Watkins and Tyler Johns.
In their match on the seventh, Pelahatchie went against the Puckett and Richland golf teams. They competed at Bay Pointe Golf Resort and Golf Club.
The final results of this first match resulted in Cameron Watkins coming in second place in men’s play. In women’s play, all three of the Pelahatchie girls’ team placed. Olivia Lasseter came in first place with Makaylee and Makenzie Hester tying for second.
Unfortunately, Pelahatchie Chief’s golf team was scheduled to take on Puckett and Richland’s golf team yet again on Wednesday April 14, 2021 at Patrick Farms Golf Club at 1:30 pm, however, it was canceled due to inclement weather.
Still, this has yet to keep the golfers down, when asked about her golfing experience and the fact that most matches continue to be rained out Makenzie Hester stated,” It is frustrating that these matches continue to get rained out, but we’re fortunate to have a coach that is wiling to work with the other coaches and reschedule as much as he can. As far as my experience on the golf team I have loved it. It’s given me the foundation and a love for this sport that I can take to college to continue to grow and improve at.”