Hatchie Headlines Making Headlines

Hatchie Headlines poses for a group picture that will be featured in the local newspaper

MaKaylee Hester, Staff Writer

Pelahatchie’s very own student lead newspaper Hatchie Headlines made history at the annual Mississippi Scholastic Press Association competition. Hatchie Headlines was founded in 2016.

Hatchie Headlines, only being in its sixth year of existence, surprised everyone by placing in nine categories and winning four of the nine.

This major accomplishment doubled the previous winnings that the paper has received in years prior. 

This freshly founded newspaper managed to win two entire categories, one in which no other school in the state was even nominated. This category was Best Photo Illustration. 

The second entire category that they managed to place in would be that of Best Sports Writing.

Perhaps the most astounding accomplishment came from Pelahatchie’s very own Laura Renfroe. Competing for a spot in All-Mississippi placement, Renfroe won for her second year in a row.

This is a tremendous accomplishment considering she is a junior winning this placement, which is almost always given to senior staff members. 

Renfroe continued dazzling judges, earning herself a winning placement in Best Lede, Best Photo Illustration, and Best Review.

Malik Latin, in only his first year of newspaper, won the category for Best Feature Photo that featured an image of staff writer Seanadrian Johnson. 

Latin also placed in Best Candid photo and Best Photo Illustration using two separate photos in the latter category. 

In her first year of newspaper, Makaylee Hester managed to place in Best Lede.

Also in her first year of newspaper, Meghan Herrington won herself a finalist spot in the Best Sports Story competition. 

Hatchie Headlines dedicated advisor, who regularly goes above and beyond for her students, placed as a finalist in the Joanne Sellers Newspaper Advisor of the Year Award for the third year in a row. 

As Hatchie Headlines continues to grow and learn even more, we can only expect that they will win even more awards and keep their loving audience informed about the world outside.