Cheerleaders 2021-2022

The+new+2021-2022+cheerleading+team+members+at+their+first+practice+work+on+jump+drills+to+prepare+for+the+upcoming+season.+

Mandy Herrington

The new 2021-2022 cheerleading team members at their first practice work on jump drills to prepare for the upcoming season.

Meghan Herrington, Staff Writer

Pelahatchie High School Cheerleaders had their tryouts for the 2021 to 2022 school year back in February, but they have been practicing since March.

This past season they were named to win the state championship. However, due to Covid-19 and the team being quarantined the day before the competition, they were unable to compete to fulfill their projected title.

The team this year has several first-year members and only a few returners due to the team losing seven seniors from this past season.

Next year’s team holds the following members: Addison Archie, Olivia Laseter, Brooklyn Coughlin, Madison Broome, Madelyn Cain, Collins Doster, Natalyia Garner, Jinodja Holifield, Ava Till, Abby Davis, Madi Holmes, Gracie Jones, Shelby Surkin, Maddie Grace Walters, Sarah Westbrook, Leigha Cain, and Camile Jordan.The coaching staff has also had a slight change. Mandy Herrington is the head coach with Tammie Bright as the assistant coach.

Herrington has brought back Lemichal Drake back for the competition team, and he has brought Malarie Jones to help build the new team up to hopefully bring home a state championship this upcoming season in December.

Team members are excited for this upcoming season with almost a brand new squad.

“This year’s new cheer team has really been working well together so far this year,” said Madi Holmes, an upcoming junior.

“Everyone is taking criticism very well and is working together to learn and better our team as a whole. We all get along very well and I could not ask for a better team and family of such kind and hard working girls,” expressed Holmes.

“I have been on the cheer team since I was in the 7th grade, so I have seen many people come and leave. The cheer team lost seven seniors that have been a part of the original competition teams,” stated Madison Broome, an upcoming senior.

“After finding out who all made the new cheer team, I was sceptical at first. There were new people and people that have never cheered before. Practices started shortly after tryouts. The first two practices were a little rough. Myself included were kind of rusty on motion placements and stunts,” continued Broome.

“More practices later, there have been many improvements. Everyone has had really positive attitudes and can take criticism like champs. I have made many friends and feel very comfortable around them. Everyday in the halls I pass the cheer girls and tell them hey and even have conversations. Everyone is all sweet, caring, and upbeat,” finished Broome.