Eclipse Sweeps through Pelahatchie, MS

Maleigh Edwards

On August 21, 2017 an Eclipse occurred throughout the United States. While there was a 100% coverage in some places in the United States, there was only a 85% coverage in Pelahatchie, MS.

Lizzy Pinter, Staff Writer

For the first time since 1918 a total solar eclipse occurred in the United States. Every state in the United States could witness this phenomenon. The eclipse swept through the United States on August 21, 2017.

The eclipse began in Lincoln City, Oregon and ended in Charleston, South Carolina. The eclipse passed over Pelahatchie from 11: 54 a.m. until 2:53 p.m. The maximum coverage occurred at 1:26 p.m. and there was an 85% blockage.

The next total eclipse will not occur in Pelahatchie again until 2392. Although partial eclipses are common, total eclipses only happen every several years over the United States. There were several eclipses in the 1900’s but none of them compare to the one that occurred on August 21, 2017.

According to Lika Guhathakurta, an astrophysicist at NASA Headquarters in Washington, “An eclipse teaches us so many things, but the 2017 eclipse is especially unique because of the uninterrupted land masses it will pass over.” Guhathakurta also stated, “This will allow us to maximize our chance to collect data and connect the shadow of the moon to Earth science.”

Students at Pelahatchie High School were sent home with permission slips earlier in the week, and, if signed, they had permission to look up at the eclipse with the required glasses.

Students who had glasses passed them around. Everyone was so eager to witness this anomaly that they were lined up passing one or two sets of glasses around to look at it. Some were too eager to view it that they attempted to look up without them, but was definitely sorry afterwards.

Some students, risking the welfare of their phones, took pictures of the moon passing the sun. Several attempted but not many were a success due to the brightness illuminating off of the big ball of light. The eclipse became the most famous subject of the day.

Although there wasn’t a full coverage in Pelahatchie, everyone will definitely remember this fantastic phenomenon for years to come. When the next eclipse rolls around the people of Pelahatchie will be waiting to view it all over again.