The Tribe’s New Sound: Pelahatchie Marching Band Rewrites History

The Pelahatchie High School Marching Band working hard to learn the halftime show during band camp over the summer. Photo Credit: Paula Thompson

Sydni Goldman, Staff Writer

Friday night lights are no longer just for football. There is a new sound booming at the field, and that sound is the Pelahatchie High School Marching Band.

Pelahatchie High School’s band began three years ago when band director Helen Rettger came to Pelahatchie. This is only the band’s second year performing at football games, but Rettger had bigger and better plans for this year’s halftime show.

The halftime show this year is called “All About That Jazz,” featuring some really jazzy tunes.

The band has changed a lot since they began three years ago. “The marching band is doing more than it has ever done! The band is performing an entire field show, which is not easy because is requires a lot of marching and playing skills,”says Rettger.

The band spent a whole week out of their summer learning routines and drill for their show. They also still practice after school on Mondays and Thursdays from 3:30-5.

There are other changes in the band this year, such as new uniforms. Rettger stated, “Uniforms for band consist of special pants, jackets, and hats. Some bands are less fortunate and are unable to ever get uniforms.”

The band does not stop at football games; they also go to competition and receive ratings on their performance. “We’re looking forward to performing for judges at a marching festival for the first time in well over two decades,” said Rettger.

The band will travel to Copiah High School and West Lauderdale High School to perform the halftime show. They will compete against other high schools to win titles and trophies.